Despite being increasingly obsolete, security information and event management (SIEM) systems remain a standard platform for many SOCs today. While SIEM can provide a useful centralization of security information, in many ways these technologies now hamper cybersecurity efforts more than they help.
This white paper makes the case that SIEM platforms are past their sell-by date and are no longer a practical security solution for the modern small to medium-size enterprise.
In short, SIEMs are expensive and unwieldy. There are more effective and less complicated tools to accomplish the same goals, allowing organizations to meet their log collection, detection, investigation, and response needs while saving money — and the sanity of their beleaguered IT staff.
Our white paper will:
- Explore ways that smaller organizations seeking to progress beyond antivirus and firewall technologies can strengthen their security posture without wasting money on outdated solutions
- Assist mid-sized businesses no longer seeing value from their SIEM pivot in a way that helps both their processes and their budgets
- Discuss how, after all these years, SIEM still struggles to live up to vendors’ promises — while also contributing significantly to the rampant problem of alert fatigue
More harm than good
Learn why SIEM platforms frequently leave security teams paralyzed in a crisis situation due to their:
- lack of meaningful analysis of security event information
- shotgun detection mechanisms that leave a wake of alert fatigue
- numerous false positives that exacerbate the fatigue
The spiraling cost of SIEM
For an organization’s SIEM to have any chance of living up to vendor hype, its IT team requires several expensive ingredients for success. Our white paper examines how these requisites can quickly lead to a ballooning of your security budget:
- endless tuning
- a wide and deep set of data sources — especially from the endpoint
- multivariate analysis
To learn more with technical and business-facing resources, read the Executive Summary below!